Journalist Bill Cameron
Bobcat
2005-03-12 17:57:41 UTC
Bill Cameron, the long-time CBC TV journalists who started in CBC Radio died
late last night of esophageal cancer, following long periods of "brutal
chemotherapy", according to a story in today's Globe and Mail. You need a
password, so here's the item in its entirety.

Saturday, March 12, 2005 Updated at 10:46 AM EST
Canadian Press

Toronto - Bill Cameron, the intellectually challenging and erudite broadcast
journalist who had a celebrated parting of the ways with CBC Television in
the wake of 1999 budget cuts, is dead.
He died around midnight Friday of cancer of the esophagus which had moved
into his brain and liver despite rounds of brutal chemotherapy, a CBC
spokeswoman said.

The veteran TV news personality was born in Vancouver in 1943.

He got his first break in broadcasting at CBC Radio in the 1960s as a
freelance journalist. He later served as an editorial writer and columnist
for the Toronto Star and as an associate editor at Maclean's magazine.

He appeared on Global TV as host of Newsweek for five years beginning in
1978. He was also an anchor on Toronto's independent Citytv before joining
CBC's news magazine program The Journal as a reporter, producer and
alternate host. He spent nine years there and during his stint he journeyed
to the United States, Britain and Jordan. He also reported from Mozambique
and Nicaragua. He was the show's final host when it signed off Oct. 30,
1992.
He then joined CBLT, CBC's Toronto flagship station where he anchored the
evening newscast, and won a Gemini Award for his efforts. In September 1995,
he joined Newsworld in Halifax as host of CBC Morning News, replacing Henry
Champ who was moving to Washington. In 1999, he moved back to Toronto to
host Sunday Report and daily newscasts for Newsworld and Newsworld
International.

He co-wrote The Real Poverty Report, a study of the plight of the poor in
Canada. Cameron also wrote plays and poetry, having been published by Random
House.

"He has a wealth of news experience and knows how to get the most out of a
story," Slawko Klymkiw, CBC-TV's chief programmer and former head of
Newsworld, once said.

Although once cited as a potential anchor of The National, in 1999 he had a
parting of the ways with CBC after being asked to reduce his workload and
his paycheque in the wake of major budget cutbacks.

Friends said he'd had it with indecision and narrow-mindedness at the public
broadcaster.

"I don't want to sound maudlin, but there's an awful lot of my life there,"
he said at the time. "I still believe in it and I feel a little homeless,
wandering around in the big, wide world."

He still considered himself a "CBC lifer" and declined to be outright
critical, but he did warn that the network was in danger of hemorrhaging
more good people.

He added that in the end his departure was as much a quality of life issue
as financial.

"Inevitably, you find that what you're doing for a major part of your day is
extremely silly," he said. "I've got enough silliness in the rest of my
life. I don't need it at work."

Cameron had had lucrative offers from the U.S. but within days announced
that he was taking a job as vice-president of communications at the
Toronto-based American Gem Corp., a sapphire marketer, which then changed
its name to Digital Gem Corp.

He also held the ethics chair at the Ryerson School of Journalism and
freelanced for the National Post.

Recently he was back on television, hosting the talk show (At)issue on the I
Channel, the fledgling digital tier service, but could not continue due to
his escalating illness.

He is survived by his wife, Cheryl Hawkes, a freelance journalist, and their
three children, two of them still in university and one in high school.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20050312.wbill0312/BNStory/Entertainment/
Dan Say
2005-03-13 20:38:49 UTC
Dan Say
2005-03-13 20:42:40 UTC
Post by Bobcat
Bill Cameron, the long-time CBC TV journalists who started in
CBC Radio died late last night of esophageal cancer, following
long periods of "brutal chemotherapy", according to a story in
today's Globe and Mail. You need a password, so here's the item
in its entirety.
Saturday, March 12, 2005 Updated at 10:46 AM EST
Canadian Press
Toronto - Bill Cameron, the intellectually challenging and
erudite broadcast journalist who had a celebrated parting of the
And the Zerbisias apprciaciation in the Toronto Star

Toronto Sunday Star Mar. 13, 2005. 08:44 AM

[050313_cameron_bill_200.jpg]
One of Bill Camerons colleagues called him a triple threat
consummate anchor, journalist and writer. Valerie Pringle recalls
a softer side the guy who wrestled her for the chance to
interview Big Bird.

Cancer claims admired journalist

[8]ANTONIA ZERBISIAS, MEDIA COLUMNIST

The wonder is, Bill Cameron did not author his own obituary.

For here was a man who is acknowledged as the greatest writer
of his generation of Canadian journalists, whose words graced the
page, the stage, the screen, the classroom and, of course, the
airwaves.

Cameron, 62, died at his Toronto home just after midnight
yesterday, after a 20-month struggle with esophageal cancer,
surrounded by his wife, Cheryl Hawkes, and his children Patrick,
22, Rachel, 21, and Nick 15.

"He was trying to hold us in his arms," said Hawkes yesterday.
"But he was too weak."

Respected, admired, and loved, Cameron was, what friend and former
CBC colleague Fred Langan called yesterday, "a triple threat,"
the consummate anchor, journalist and writer.

But he was more than that.

From his start as a freelance entertainment critic for CBC and
CTV, to penning an editorial column at the Toronto Star at the
age of 25, to editing for the nascent Global news, to anchoring
at Citytv in the 1970s, to covering foreign assignments and
co-hosting for CBC's nightly newsmagazine The Journal, to
anchoring CBC-TV's local news, to fronting Newsworld's morning
show, to writing novels and ghosting documentary scripts for
others, to playing the anchor on the Comedy Network's Puppets Who
Kill, there was no journalism job Cameron could not do and do
well.

"Who the hell is good at all those things?" asked Mark Starowicz,
the producer who hired Cameron in 1983 to report and fill in as
an anchor on CBC's The Journal and Midday.

Which is why, when the Journal went off the air in 1992, it was
Cameron, tapped to succeed the late Barbara Frum as host, who
delivered the eloquent goodbye to viewers: "I'd like to leave you
with the words you find on the back of the cheque you get at any
coffee shop in Canada. Thank you for letting us serve you."

What Cameron had was a voice, and even at the end, when he could
barely use it, he still slapped on his make-up to host his
i-channel talk show, as well as act as fill-in interviewer on CBC
Radio's As It Happens.

His last big interview was with the Dalai Lama, for the
documentary The Dalai Lama: The Power of Compassion that aired
last week on i-channel.

"He was a master of the interview," said CBC's Peter Mansbridge,
who recalled Cameron giving him some pointers last fall at a
party in his honour.

About 200 friends and colleagues, from all the networks and the
print media where Cameron had worked, gathered at CBC to show
their support

"He really kept his sense of humour," said Global's Peter Kent.
"He'd go through the chemo sessions and was brutalized by them
but then he'd come up for air and talk to friends and inquire
about others."

"Everybody has this idea that he was such a serious guy," said
Valerie Pringle, with whom he worked on Midday. "But I remember
when the pportunity came up to interview Big Bird, he wrestled me
to the ground and said, `It's mine.'

"I can remember he was doing an interview, with a cop or
something, and he said, `Well, I've shoplifted, I've smoked
dope,'" Pringle laughed. "We all just dropped our coffees."

What Cameron cared about was his family and journalism.

"He worshipped his wife and children," said Pringle, describing a
Valentine's Day tribute that Cameron had published. "It just made
you cry. I thought this guy was so madly in love with Cheryl, I
can't even stand it."

In fact, it was love at first sight.

Hawkes met him in 1980, when she was doing a freelance profile on
him for Star Week magazine.

"He followed me out of the restaurant and tried to talk me out of
writing the story," she said yesterday. "He said `I don't need
publicity; I need to marry you.'"

They were wed four months later. But he would leave her often to
take on dangerous assignments for CBC, flying in and out of the
hellholes of the world.

Starowicz described one assignment in which Cameron was talking to
the camera, with bombs exploding around him, but he barely
flinched.

In fact, "he was talking in perfect paragraphs."

But it seems that Cameron, who has held the journalism ethics
chair at Ryerson University, also worried about the ethical
hazards of war reporting.

As he wrote in 1990, "That's the dreadful suspicion: That we dip
into the surface of deep events, paddle with our feet, guard our
comforts, patronize our contacts, exploit great tragedies for the
good of our careers, and get the story wrong."

Cameron wanted to get the story not only right, but also exactly,
perfectly, precisely right.

"He had one of the most discerning ears," said Citytv's Mark
Dailey, who worked with Cameron when he was the anchor of the 10
p.m. newscast. "He was a very important part of our early
conscience at Citypulse."

Mansbridge remembered one evening co-hosting with Cameron on the
Journal. It was a time of intense rivalries between the National
and the newsmagazine and few people expected the pairing to go
well.

But, said Mansbridge, in the middle of a technical interview on a
financial story, Cameron slipped him an idea, which improved the
segment.

"That underlined that this was a guy who cared about the product,
who cared about how we did things," Mansbridge said.

"He studied acting which is one of the reasons he could be a
little arch on television," Langan said. "He knew how to
manipulate words more than the average announcer."

A journalist to the end, Cameron documented his battle with his
cancer for an upcoming feature in Walrus magazine. His most
recent piece was a witty look ... at caskets.

That's why it is so surprising he didn't leave some notes for the
occasion of the death, one he knew was coming much too fast and
too soon.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_P
rintFriendly&c=Article&cid=1110669012304&call_pageid=968332188492
Dan Say
2005-03-13 22:00:00 UTC
CBC's radio obit by Marsha Lederman
http://www.cbc.ca/clips/rm-audio/lederman_tw050312.rm
Real audio 2 min 23 sec.

CBC's TV obit
http://www.cbc.ca/clips/rm-lo/birak_cameron050312.rm
Broken?

CBC put up some archives on their home/news pages
http://archives.cbc.ca/IDC-1-69-1596-10955-11/that_was_then/life_society/bill_Cameron
--text at Archive site --

"Veteran broadcaster and writer Bill Cameron has
died at the age of 62.
Cameron was known as a trusted broadcaster with
a gift for humour and dry wit, as can be heard in
this 1977 radio clip. The new movie Network - a
biting satire on the TV news business - is making
a big splash with the public. As an anchor for
Global TV, Cameron gives a tongue-in-cheek personal
take on what Network has done to sully the
reputation of his profession."
----- -----
The same archive page has, as its second item, a search of
the archives which pulls up 37 links in some format that my Linux
machine doesn't decode automagically. (Windows media? Certainly
not Unix/Linux, OGG or other program type that will last)
http://archives.cbc.ca/270s.asp?typeRecherche=Ressources&selectListe=A-D&selectRecherche=285&IDLan=1
Bob Haberkost
2005-03-15 12:07:48 UTC
"Bobcat" <***@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:s4GYd.35694$***@news20.bellglobal.com...

| Toronto - Bill Cameron, the intellectually challenging and erudite broadcast
| journalist who had a celebrated parting of the ways with CBC Television in
| the wake of 1999 budget cuts, is dead.
| He died around midnight Friday of cancer of the oesophagus which had moved
| into his brain and liver despite rounds of brutal chemotherapy, a CBC

I'm sorry to hear this, certainly. I had the good fortune to have met Mr
Cameron at the last of the Second Harvest Christmas Carol readings at
Yorkminster Church on Yonge Street. Although he didn't look particularly ill, I
see in the articles since that he was already fighting this back then, as his
esophageal cancer had been diagnosed by then. Asking him to contribute to a
project I was working on (a Canadian Flag with the signatures of a number of CBC
notables) he signed it, along with his name, "Draw near at thy peril, American
wolf!" and then asked me if I knew who said this, and on what issue. I had to
admit then that I didn't know (and have since forgotten, so if anyone does,
please refresh my memory) but he told me that it was a Prime Minister (Borden?)
who distained American hegemony. Clearly and proudly Canadian, he certainly
was, but obviously, from where I sit, Bill Cameron was world-class.
Men born to freedom are naturally alert to repel invasion of their liberty by
evil-minded rulers. The greatest dangers to liberty lurk in insidious
encroachment by men of zeal, well-meaning but without understanding." -- Justice
Brandeis
For direct replies, take out the contents between the hyphens. -Really!-
Dan Say
2005-03-16 01:46:06 UTC
Jim Jaworski
2005-03-17 08:08:20 UTC
Post by Bobcat
Bill Cameron, the long-time CBC TV journalists who started in CBC Radio died
late last night of esophageal cancer, following long periods of "brutal
chemotherapy", according to a story in today's Globe and Mail. You need a
password, so here's the item in its entirety.
Saturday, March 12, 2005 Updated at 10:46 AM EST
Canadian Press
Toronto - Bill Cameron, the intellectually challenging and erudite broadcast
journalist who had a celebrated parting of the ways with CBC Television in
the wake of 1999 budget cuts, is dead.
He died around midnight Friday of cancer of the esophagus which had moved
into his brain and liver despite rounds of brutal chemotherapy, a CBC
spokeswoman said.
Is cancer of the esophagus caused by smoking tobacco?

Jim
Dan Say
2005-03-17 21:31:21 UTC
Post by Jim Jaworski
Post by Bobcat
Bill Cameron, the long-time CBC TV journalists who started in CBC Radio died
late last night of esophageal cancer, following long periods of "brutal
chemotherapy", according to a story in today's Globe and Mail. You need a
password, so here's the item in its entirety.
Saturday, March 12, 2005 Updated at 10:46 AM EST
Canadian Press
Toronto - Bill Cameron, the intellectually challenging and erudite broadcast
journalist who had a celebrated parting of the ways with CBC Television in
the wake of 1999 budget cuts, is dead.
He died around midnight Friday of cancer of the esophagus which had moved
into his brain and liver despite rounds of brutal chemotherapy, a CBC
spokeswoman said.
Is cancer of the esophagus caused by smoking tobacco?
Jim
Or pickles, or polluted air. Quite common in China.
The chemicals are carcinogenic forms of benzenes
and prolonged exposure is associated with them.

Doesn't have to be smoking.