Jim Corcoran and A Propos leaves CBC
DanNospamSay
2018-08-15 04:01:17 UTC
CBC Radio’s A Propos, hosted by Jim Corcoran, is going away.
https://www.cbcmusic.ca/posts/20247/jim-corcoran-bids-farewell-to-a-propos
The last show will be Sept. 1. It will be replaced with another show with a similar mandate, exposing francophone music to English Canada. It’s called C’est Formidable, and will be hosted by Florence K. Le Devoir talks with Corcoran about his career.
https://www.ledevoir.com/culture/medias/534038/a-propos-jim-corcoran
===============
August 10, 2018

Today, A Propos host Jim Corcoran has announced that he will be leaving the long-running show. His last episode will be broadcast on CBC Radio One on Saturday, Sept. 1, at 11 p.m. and on CBC Music on Sunday, Sept. 2, at 4 p.m.
Corcoran has hosted A Propos for 30 years now, highlighting some of the best recordings and interviewing French-Canadian artists from francophone Canada, with special emphasis on Quebec's popular music scene.
Read his full goodbye letter below.
++++++++++++++++++++++
I'm Jim Corcoran in Montreal — and I've been saying that as host of A Propos, the sounds of Quebec on CBC Radio, for 30 years in a row. Now, after 30 years, I feel (somewhat reluctantly, I'll admit) it's time for me to move on.
It's been a profoundly rewarding experience for me and I'm extremely grateful to the CBC for having entrusted me with so much freedom. Only the artists I really loved were broadcast on A Propos and many of them became good friends.
I'll miss you, the faithful and attentive audience of A Propos, who kept me on my toes, reminding me regularly what you liked most about the program and what you expected of me. I'm gonna miss reaching out for you every weekend.
A Propos will forever be a major accomplishment for me, for which I'll always be very proud and grateful.
I got to work with and learn from some of the finest of producers, especially Frank Opolko and Sophie Laurent, who made each edition of A Propos shine.
I discovered music as a kid, thanks to great radio. And for 30 years, I had the time of my life sharing my passion for francophone songwriters and bands with you on CBC Radio.
My entire life has been and will always be about music! How lucky can one man be?
Thank you all for offering me such a priceless privilege.
For years, the last word from me at the end of every edition of A Propos was "Au revoir."
This one is bittersweet.
Au revoir et merci,
— Jim Corcoran
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Replacing A Propos in its time slot will be a show that will continue to feature the music of francophone Canada called C'est Formidable! with host Florence K. It will start the week of Sept. 8 on CBC Radio One and Sept. 9 on CBC Music.
Below is a statement from Florence K:
I’m so pleased to announce that I will be hosting C’est Formidable!, a new program coming this September on CBC Radio One and CBC Music. Each week, we will explore together the large and diverse world of francophone music.
It is a great honor for me to take over for a fantastic artist I deeply admire, Jim Corcoran. For 30 years, Jim brilliantly hosted À Propos and generously shared his passion for francophone songs and lyrics with his listeners.
I grew up surrounded by French music from all over Canada, which inspired me to become a singer-songwriter myself. I am now thrilled to take you on a journey through our French heritage and to tell you about the artists and songs who stand behind it.
With C’est Formidable!, you will hear the newest hits that make Quebec dance and sing, beautiful songs from Franco-Canadian communities, classics from the past and music freshly arrived from francophone countries all over the world.
N’est-ce pas tout à fait formidable?!
— Florence K
===========
Florence Khoriaty (born February 5, 1983), known as FLORENCE K, is a Canadian pop singer and songwriter from Quebec,[1] who performs material in English, French, Spanish and Portuguese. She is most noted for garnering a Juno Award nomination for Breakthrough Artist of the Year at the Juno Awards of 2014.[2]
The daughter of musicians Hany Khoriaty and Natalie Choquette,[3] she started in the music business playing piano and performing duets with her mother.[3]
She released her debut album, Live au Lion d'Or, in 2005. She followed up in 2006 with Bossa Blue, which won the Prix Félix for Best World Music Album at the Gala de l'ADISQ in 2007.[4] Her third album, La historia de Lola, was released in 2008, and her fourth, Havana Angels, was released in 2010.
==================================

=============== poor machine translation ===============
Jim Corcoran puts an end to his CBC radio show
Le Devoir [Home] /[Culture] /[Media]

Jim Corcoran passe le micro à Florence K.
Photo: François heavy duty Jim Corcoran, the microphone is passed to Florence K.
by Philippe Papineau
August 8, 2018

Jim Corcoran has spent the last 30 years to accomplish a commendable as unlikely thing: play and highlight the songs and Quebec francophone artists to the English speaking public of CBC Radio One. On Tuesday, the musician announced on September 2, he beat for the last time his radio aboutshow. Not without a twinge.

In this one hour show, Corcoran, of his soberly, had "the privilege" not to present "artists and songs that [l]' lit ', he says in his departure remarks. In addition to conducting interviews, he also multiplied the translations of words, to the delight of his listeners from across the country. Le Devoir has discussed his departure from the airwaves with him.

What is your decision to leave about after all these years has been time to mature?

For several months, I watched the beautiful Figure 30 and I found that c' had looks to stop there. Because you have to stop one day! Besides, I wanted to have more time for me. I want to know what I have to live as a songwriter, and do this to I take my place and I draw my reverence of this great project.

About is a demanding program to prepare?

Yes, but it's my fault, because I worked very strong show in show. I didn't not to be a disc jockey. At all. That's not how I approach whatever it is. I'm not buying the nonchalant radio, where they say anything. Often, bothers me when people who have a certain notoriety take for granted that they have to open his mouth so that one is impressed. That's not true. Me, I'm looking for, I work, I write, I refine, reduce, I condensed. And I give.

You say in your letter of departure you receive many messages from listeners. It was mostly Quebecers?

No, most of the e-mails came from outside the province. A lot of the West Coast and the Maritimes. And 90% of the matches were in English, so it wasn't expatriate francophones who heard the broadcast. Fortunately, the public who received the show was not already aware of the directory, I felt maybe... useless? I knew that from week to week, there were discoveries. And I'm organizing so that the public is fascinated by my findings.

The idea was to feel useful on-air?

I have not broadcast a lot of metal, for example, but it was not excluded. There is nothing impossible. I was not here just to please and rock. Are you comfortable with the songs that I propose? There, you go to work. I offer you something a little provocative, disturbing, that asks an effort. And the public did not want me. Because it was an Exchange. Going back to the useful word, I imposed myself all this back and forth between simplicity and provocative.

How have you seen evolve the francophone scene of Quebec during all these years? It's going in circles?

My fear was that one day there is more nothing new! How can I continue to surprise the audience if the environment does not surprise me? But year after year, there are always new faces. The arrival of Klô Pelgag or Philippe Brach, is an extraordinary fresh airflow. When Liu arrived in 1990, as a tsunami, it was fabulous to be able to share this delinquency there with an audience who wondered what was going on. Everything changes.

You have favorites over the years?

I left a message on the answering machine of Daniel Bélanger today, I thanked him for having contributed to the quality of my work! On the radio, when his records, my show sounded so good!

Force to the bridge between anglophones and francophones, do you feel that the banks are close somewhat with the years?

That is that there is a young generation that is so available to the other. We're not surprised to see Karkwa, Arcade Fire, or Patrick Watson having fun together. In comparison, Ferland and Lightfoot did not have much in common! But this new generation who listens to the music world, who has bathed in Radiohead, is something else. Her world has changed. In reality, there are solitudes, perhaps even more solitudes with the arrival of immigrants, but we approach this topic otherwise. For the generation of my parents, the word loneliness had any resonance.

The CBC and Radio-Canada should play a greater role in this reconciliation, not musically?

We'll never do too. Most Quebecers do not know many amazing songwriters anglophones in Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, of Etobicoke, Kamloops, which is not available here and which are unknown to francophones. And conversely, I was a showcase to the English Canada for young musicians who would have never gone through without it. Should people get going to cause meetings and ensure a friendly broadcast.

It's Florence K which will have your mandate in September on CBC Radio One. You talked to him?

No, and I don't know what form it will take. I hope she'll have the freedom I had. And then, I would say in Florence: search. Don't count on others. Discover yourself jewelry. You don't say what's good and what needs to be released.
m***@gmail.com